Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Day in the Country


Today I took the day off from my scribing duties to venture out into the country. There I was approached by an ogre-like man named Henry who insisted on giving me a tour of the land. He spoke very loudly, he smelled like fish, and I would discover later an unnatural love for sandwiches. "A guy like you out here in the savage wilderness needs a sidekick," Henry said. "Someone who knows his way around. Come this way." He pumped his fist in the air, bobbed his head, and rocked. I admired the landscape as Henry shouted a top notch guided tour into my ear. A real professional he was. I learned things I never new. Things I didn't even think could be true in respects to our understanding of scientific law and accurate history. It wasn't far into the tour that I realized that Henry was just making things up. "These rocks here were originally autographed by Christopher Columbus himself," Henry yelled, "but the Indians rubbed it off because they thought it was disrespectful to their culture. Henry continued: "You'll see where this canyon dips down like it does? What you're looking at is where the dinosaurs used the bathroom. It's a giant toilet. A dino-toilet is what they call that. Let's head to the caverns!"

Eventually Henry and I reached the Grand Lake Caverns, and there out of the darkness we saw a man emerge. He looked at us with great surprise and said, "Whoa there fellas...whoa...easy, easy, easy, we don't want to scare it off!" Then he walked briskly into the woods with an almost skip-like gate. Neither I or Henry knew what he was referring to. Something told me though that this man would show up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment