Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Shamed



Tonight I felt compelled to look up the word "shamed". The definition reads in this way: "the painful feeling arising from the consciousness of something dishonorable." Now it's my experience that people, me especially, throw out words in a spew. That is saying, in the throws of our expression we rely on what we think is the definition of words instead of what they actually mean. After examining the dictionary, I know for sure that "shamed" is the appropriate word of choice here.

What has happened is this. Several weeks ago I was so bold as to make meatballs. I thought they were pretty good. (And I really did think they were.) Then a few weeks later the Princess says, "oh, hey guess what? I made some meatballs too!" She even went so far as to offer some of them to me. Well, needless to say, I was suspicious because why would the Princess want to share her meatballs with me? Right?

Well turns out she brings me some meatballs, but I had just eaten a huge sandwich, so I couldn't chow down just yet. I put them in my fridge, and many hours later when the hunger strikes, I take them out, heat them up, and start the feasting. It was then that I realized that these meatballs were ridiculously good. I'm not talking like "kind of good". I'm talking, ridiculously freaking good. Like REALLY good. And then all of a sudden I get kind of defensive. I'm saying to myself, "Wait, these meatballs are leagues beyond the deliciousness of the meatballs I made." Even to the point where it would be safe for a food critic to say that my meatballs were 'doggy doo" and the Princess' meatballs were 'orbs of pure joy'." It was then that I experienced "shame" because I felt the "pain" of being "dishonored" by a superior product.

I'm not lying. They were large and juicy and filled with Gorgonzola cheese. Delicious!

So then I feel inclined to text the Princess saying that her meatballs were so delicious, etc.

Feeling this intense shame, I thought that maybe the Princess hadn't brought these meatballs out of kindness, but out of competition. Yes! The Princess clearly had in mind to rub this whole thing right in my face. The fact that her meatballs were so much better than mine. That's why she gave them to me!

She even went so far as to have one of her friends call me from her phone. I saw that the phone said "Princess". I picked up the phone and said, "you shamed me!" And then I heard a man's voice on the other end that explained how he wasn't the princess and that how he had read the blog and thought it was "good". In the background I heard the Princess order this man to treat me with cruelty. Thankfully this man had a beating heart and refused.

3 comments:

  1. and to think, you're greatest acheivement is a shameful meatball

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, the fact that you described your meatballs as "doggy doo" proves you like to eat poop

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey that was me that called!

    this post was good.

    ReplyDelete